Sunday, July 02, 2006

Ranting

Ok, I know it has been a while since I have posted anything. But I have good reason. (At least I think I do). We finally got our office moved at work, so things should quiet down a bit.

I have been thinking a lot about my boys (men), they are 21 and 25. Makes me sound old doesn't it. It has been a struggle for them especially my older son. I have so many what if's with him. Both of them are Bipolar and ADHD. So needless to say life was very interesting (if nothing else) as they were growing up.

I have been thinking about the Bipolar part of our lives. I hear people talking about other people with Bipolar and they are so judgmental. Unless you have it or live with it in your family, people shouldn't be judging those that do have Bipolar. It makes me so darn mad. I here how people are afraid, or plain judgmental. Well it is an illness. It can be treated with medications. Just like diabetes or other illnesses. Luckily my boys are doing fairly well with their Bipolar and ADHD.

I agree there are those who can't handle their illnesses, but what about those that can? I know people that are doing very well and that take there meds and lead a normal life. Yet when someone finds out they are Bipolar watch out. Major Taboo. Well I think it is wrong. Whether it is mild or severe, it is treatable. I understand there are those that don't feel they need meds, but don't take it out on those that are getting treatment. Don't hold it against someone who does have it if you find out they do. No one is perfect.

I would appreciate your comments. Just needed to rant a little. I have heard People this week talking about Bipolar, and the more I have thought about the comments the more it upset me.

Well have a good day and thanks for listening.

5 comments:

Lisa M. said...

Its good to get a post from you, but I can see clearly that you are ignoring my plea's to discuss your naked ferry ride. But, however...

It's great to have a post from you that is wrought with feeling and opinions. Good girl. This is your best post yet!

I have never noticed a stigma in regards to bipolar. However, I am quite sure it is there. Before I had E, I never thought much about people in wheelchairs, or with other handicappes, but I can clearly remember CLEARLY the day we went to Disneyland, my Mom saying "This place is full of retards"

Now, that small little statement, made by someone who didn't know better, haunts me, and it really has effected me.

So back to bi-polar. It sounds like such a bear name to me. Polar. *chuckle* Anyway...

I think what it boils down too, is that people are really just unaware. They don't know much about the disease and they make judgements with out really understand what they are talking about.

Just like Mom. You know her, she isn't a mean person. She just didn't feel comfortable around those disabled kids at Disneyland. She made a comment.

Now.. is there any justifiction for that? Oh hell no. People really need to start taking responsibilty for their thoughts and words. There is nothing QUITE like education. I'll never understand why we are so quick to judge and why we attach things to names.

I am so glad that it is treatable. That wasn't the case fifty years ago, and see what strides we have made. That is great.

Maybe you can use your voice to educate those who don't know anything about bipolar so that they can understand that it is a treatable condition that doesn't need to be scorned or looked down apon.

Your such a brave and savy woman, my dear. I love this entry. It has helped me to understand more about it. I thank you for that.

S'mee said...

I agree with Lisa. Both her opinion on your text and her thoughts on society. Although I *am* aware of the stigma you and your family face on a daily basis.

I have a s-i-l with great mental illness, and several nieces (diagnosed and not) and nephews(undiagnosed) that are bi-polar. One severely bi-polar/schiz. and other family members with ADHD.

Yup -there are barriers when you do not understand the disease or what to do when lives become out of control. Even family can decide it is way too complicated, difficult and just plain hard emotionally to deal with...so they walk away.

I feel the biggest hurdle, like in all prejudices, is fear of the unknown or being uneducated about a certain -if you will- culture.

When we hear an anti-Mormon, the gospel teaches us to first find out what their concerns are, then to correct false doctrine and teach correct principles. That is a good plan for any problem. Like that Seinfeld episode where he is labeled "Anti-Dentite!", you are dealing with anti-diseasers!

"Oh heck, now everyone knows at work." Find out what there ideas and fears currently are. (concerns)

Educated them with the facts. (correct false doctrine)

Give those around you ways to decern when you need help, or to know "hey, this isn't anything to be concerned about, I am just freaking out(upset, depressed, or elated, etc.) like *you* did last Thursday over the Anderson account." (teach correct principles)

Provide them with numbers for the support people in your life, so that if something *were* to come up, all it would take is a phone call and you could get the help you needed.

All these things are the same as what a person with diabetes, heart conditions, epilepsy, etc., would need to provide so that coworkers could feel less helpful and more effective during life's *what-if?*s. Describe it as similar to the above diseases and that should help eliviate the concerns.

If it doesn't help folks understand and they still have trouble playing nice, well, who has the mental illness now?

Anonymous said...

Hi Jewel
About 3 anda half years ago, I knew very little about things like depression,bi-polar disorder and ADHD. When my daughter got ill, I learned an awful lot ,a bit too late to help her. Since her death, I've met a lot of people with various mental health issues .I find that I can relate to them, in a way.These are serious problems but one of the best ways to help someone cope with them, is patience and understanding.On my buddy list I have one woman who is bi-polar but that hasn't stopped her from living a regular life.She is one of the most intelligent thoughtful people I've ever had the pleasure to know.Gee I'm blogging on your blog.Sorry but I can go on all day about this.
Great big hugs to you my friend
Wally

Dangerman said...

naked ferry ride? hmm.

If you need someone to discuss bi-polar or depression with, I had a split mission [two foriegn countries] (was in New Zealand, then 6 weeks in the hospital, then sent to Texas)and my wife & I struggle with stress & depression almost daily. You are not alone...

Dangerman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.